Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Seven Wonders

To this day Seven Wonders ranks in the top Ten of my all time favorite Fleetwood Mac songs. Every time the song comes on I have to crank it up. Tango might have been the Buckingham/McVie album but I think Seven Wonders was the best "Band" song ( after Little Lies)
Old 07-19-2015, 08:44 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
To this day Seven Wonders ranks in the top Ten of my all time favorite Fleetwood Mac songs. Every time the song comes on I have to crank it up. Tango might have been the Buckingham/McVie album but I think Seven Wonders was the best "Band" song ( after Little Lies)
I agree, it's may favorite off TITN . It's commonly beaten up around here because she really didn't write it. I wonder why it was left off of "Greatest Hits". The album might have sold more if Seven Wonders was on it. I'm glad I caught a show on the tour before they dropped it. I can see why it was dropped though, it's not easy to sing.

I also like Welcome To The Room... Sara it's very tropical and relaxing. When I See You Again is also relaxing and beautiful, except the Wassah Mattah Baby part
Old 07-20-2015, 06:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
I wonder why it was left off of "Greatest Hits". The album might have sold more if Seven Wonders was on it.
It was on the UK/Europe/Australian CD release of "Greatest Hits", but not the vinyl.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I don't particularly love the song but it was Stevie's best Tango song. It should have been included in the Greatest Hits. But 2 other songs also belong on the greatest hits CD.....Think about me and Love in store.
A top 20 song like all 3 of these songs (I think 7 Wonders hit #17) should belong on the CD. Just think how good it would sound with these 3 songs.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
It's such a good song. I love the atmosphere of the intro and the 3 voices on the chorus. I'm sad they dropped it from the set.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:27 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
It's such a good song. I love the atmosphere of the intro and the 3 voices on the chorus. I'm sad they dropped it from the set.
I think the song doesn't deserve to be bashed like it sometimes is, but it certainly isn't a very strong composition. The tune is catchy but nothing special. The verses are clunky and contain the word "hand" way too often. The chorus is the best part, and it's so good that it makes it easy to forget how bad the verses are. It should've made Greatest Hits because it went to #17, but let's not get carried away here. It's still a dog relative to Stevie's compositions on the first four albums.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:37 PM
Senior Ledgie

Just to clear up the song's peak chart position, it did in fact peak at 17 in Canada and 19 in the US.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the 12" remix is way better than the album version. It softens the whole thing up a bit and really lets you enjoy the warmth of the synths.

There's this little piano thing that goes on during the instrumental break that I never understood. It always seemed out of place. But there's a part of a demo on YouTube where you can hear a whole fast paced guitar strumming thing where the piano compliments it really well. But I always thought the piano alone didn't sound so great. I was happy in the 12" that they removed it.

They also put a softer echo on her voice and have her voice repeat when she sings "a certain time... a certain place" and it's a great effect.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

7 Wonders brought me back to Stevie and FM after some years of disappointment following Belladonna. 7 W was all over the radio in the summer of '87 and caught me. I bought the TITN album and Stevie's 3 songs there made me an instant fan again. Oddly, 7 W, Welcome to the Room, and especially WISYA worked much better for me than all of Belladonna and 90% of Wild Heart.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
7 Wonders brought me back to Stevie and FM after some years of disappointment following Belladonna. 7 W was all over the radio in the summer of '87 and caught me. I bought the TITN album and Stevie's 3 songs there made me an instant fan again. Oddly, 7 W, Welcome to the Room, and especially WISYA worked much better for me than all of Belladonna and 90% of Wild Heart.
While I agree 7W was great, I totally disagree that WISYA is better than anything on Stevie's solo albums. Child please.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
I'm with you on Stevie's Tango stuff... but you lose me at BD and WH...

It's good stuff. Whatever Stevie was smokin.. it worked.. Great albums.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I totally disagree that WISYA is better than anything on Stevie's solo albums. Child please.
I wholeheartedly agree! Better than BD and WH? WTF???
Old 07-22-2015, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

While I enjoy listening to Seven Wonders and I'm glad I got to see them play it live, I always thought it was one of their weaker songs. They didn't even write the lyrics. Stevie has so many other better songs. Seven Wonders just sounds like a generic 80s pop/rock song to me, you can tell it's Fleetwood Mac though. The music video is good also.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
I wonder why it was left off of "Greatest Hits". The album might have sold more if Seven Wonders was on it.
I think when an artist releases a "Greatest Hits" compilation it's normal for them to leave a popular single off so that people will continue to purchase the original album the single is from. Greatest Hits already had Big Love and Everywhere on it, so if they included Seven Wonders you'd have all 3 top singles from Tango in the Night in one place and it could potentially hurt the sales of that record.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:27 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleshadow View Post
I think when an artist releases a "Greatest Hits" compilation it's normal for them to leave a popular single off so that people will continue to purchase the original album the single is from. Greatest Hits already had Big Love and Everywhere on it, so if they included Seven Wonders you'd have all 3 top singles from Tango in the Night in one place and it could potentially hurt the sales of that record.
Another consideration would have been: which other track would you eliminate in order to include Seven Wonders on Greatest Hits, which already had 14 tracks? At that time, 14 tracks was A LOT to include on an album, and more than that would have been almost unheard of.