Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-02-2003, 10:46 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Words & Music

I've just bought a copy of Lindsey's Words & Music promo CD, and I was wondering how many copies of this promo were made. I've seen it listed on ebay quite a few times. Does anyone know? Do any of you Ledgies have it?
Old 02-02-2003, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I bought it, oddly enough, at the "flea market" area of the Los Angeles Beatlefest convention in 1993. I had never heard of it until then.

As far as I can recall, there were many pressed...to distribute to a number of radio station programmers. It's not exactly "rare", but it never was a "commercial" release, either. Kind of in that grey area.

Which makes me think:

If the master tapes of the Buckingham Nicks album were in good enough shape for them to use "Stephanie" on this album and "Long Distance Winner" on Stevie's Enchanted box, why can't the release the damned thing in its entirety??
Old 02-03-2003, 12:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Uh, take another listen to Stephanie there. I have the W&M CD and I'm 99.9% sure that the source for Stephanie is an LP. It's always bugged me why they didn't use the master tapes, though. I know that the mastered masters are available (it's the track masters that I heard were missing, making a dvd-audio impossible)and simply awaiting Stevie and Lindsey's decision to release a cd.

John

Last edited by jwys_soapbox; 02-03-2003 at 12:27 AM..
Old 02-03-2003, 12:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

In Keith Olsen's Q&A I recall him saying (ok, I'll admit to being too lazy to actually go over & re-read it for accuracy, so I could be wrong here) that the master tapes are available, but in fragile shape. Ken Calliat, in his Q&A, seemed to insinuate the same thing.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by jwys_soapbox
Uh, take another listen to Stephanie there. I have the W&M CD and I'm 99.9% sure that the source for Stephanie is an LP.
Wow, you have good ears. How can you tell? (I totally believe you, I'm just curious). I also remember reading in the Keith Olsen Q and A that the Masters were still useable. I love the W&M cd. I laughed hysterically when I first heard the interview leading up to Stephanie, when he says something like, "Stevie said, why don't you call it Stephanie? and I was like, (giggle) okay (giggle)" There's something just so funny about the way he says that. I guess writing it doesn't do it justice.
-Sonia
"So I close my eyes softly... till I become that part of the wind that we all long for sometimes. And to those that I love like a ghost through a fog, like a charmed hour and a haunted song, and the angel... of my dreams"

"All alone we suffer. Oh, to steal your heart away."
Old 02-03-2003, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't remember what it was that tipped me off, but at some point when I got the CD I listened to it with headphones and heard some of the tell-tale sounds that pointed to it's source being an lp. Still, since it was no doubt recorded on better equipment than most people have in their home audio set-up, it sounds better than any recording you'd be able to obtain on the internet or by making yourself. There is some kind of filter available that reduces surface noise on the fly from lps. When I recorded my BN lp I hired this guy a friend of mine knew (he was actually a friend of a friend of a friend, to be specific) and he had such a componant and he got a much better recording than I'd ever been able to get. It only cost me a few blank cd-r's.

John
Old 02-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

ChiliD ...What tunes are on Lindsey's
Words and Music? Iam behind times!!!
Thanks for all your information!!!Sky

Peacekeeper song ... Lindsey
Old 02-05-2003, 09:25 PM
Senior Ledgie

Yeah, Stephanie is definitely off vinyl. And my bet is that it's not even a brand new copy, I can here a few crackles in there aside from the surface noise, not too good. Which leads to the other question, what was the source for Lond Distance Winner? Anyone?
-Brian