Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Thoughts about "Jumping At Shadows"

Comparing Fleetwood Mac's live recordings vs. studio ones could turn into a long discussion...but there's really just one specific question on my mind. When listening again the other evening to the BBC session version of "Jumping At Shadows", it hit me once more how completely different the feeling of this recording is from any of the live versions.

The BBC recording is taken at a slower pace, and Green's playing (and vocal too) is almost languid, not nearly as forceful as in the live versions. He sounds resigned to his fate rather than willing to fight against it. To me, it greatly changes the whole character of the song.

Obviously some numbers are lengthened during the live performances, and some extend into jamming, and there are nuances that change between performances - but in other songs the basic character of the song seems pretty much the same to me on live performances as the studio recording.

Offhand, I can't think of another song that they changed as much as this one. Any thoughts on this?
Old 03-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
Comparing Fleetwood Mac's live recordings vs. studio ones could turn into a long discussion...but there's really just one specific question on my mind. When listening again the other evening to the BBC session version of "Jumping At Shadows", it hit me once more how completely different the feeling of this recording is from any of the live versions.

The BBC recording is taken at a slower pace, and Green's playing (and vocal too) is almost languid, not nearly as forceful as in the live versions. He sounds resigned to his fate rather than willing to fight against it. To me, it greatly changes the whole character of the song.

Obviously some numbers are lengthened during the live performances, and some extend into jamming, and there are nuances that change between performances - but in other songs the basic character of the song seems pretty much the same to me on live performances as the studio recording.

Offhand, I can't think of another song that they changed as much as this one. Any thoughts on this?
i agree that it is entirely different. it is great, if not because its resigned

another one that changed is 'watch out' the orginal version from pre first album compared with in chicago

i know it doesn't count but a fool no more on in the skies compared with the mac version. even more so. great discussion of this earlier on the board

i'd love to hear a pg and friends version of jumping at shadows.jumping is the peak of petes pure blues period, as mario likes to say, in just my humble opinion! could he still do it justice? i have no doubt about it. zero
Old 03-03-2010, 12:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero View Post
i agree that it is entirely different. it is great, if not because its resigned

another one that changed is 'watch out' the orginal version from pre first album compared with in chicago

i know it doesn't count but a fool no more on in the skies compared with the mac version. even more so. great discussion of this earlier on the board

i'd love to hear a pg and friends version of jumping at shadows.jumping is the peak of petes pure blues period, as mario likes to say, in just my humble opinion! could he still do it justice? i have no doubt about it. zero
Good call, mzero - those two versions of "Watch Out" are quite different.

Yes - the two studio versions of "A Fool No More" are totally different. Only a little less so are the studio versions of "Leaving Town Blues" (the original studio version and the 4/70 BBC session).

It would be interesting to hear Peter Green and Friends take on one of those slow minor-key blues that Peter was so great at playing back in the day...."Jumping At Shadows", "Worried Dream", "All Over Again"....or Green's own "Out Of Reach". Wonder how he would approach songs like that today?
Old 03-03-2010, 02:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default evolving song interpretation

the both of you are right that the song is different. for the bbc they most likely played it as a performance piece. at a show the songs character will change for any number of reasons

as for different
Ms Moose's posting of rattlesnake shake shows how this song looked when they first recorded it to become the rattlesnake /madge/underway madge thing it would eventually be
Old 03-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Interesting thing to me is that the band played "Jumping At Shadows" live both before and after that BBC recording, but none of the live performances are similar to that one in the studio. Maybe an experiment that Peter decided he didn't like? I think both the BBC version and the live ones (especially the 2/70 Boston ones) are masterful.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default OT? In The Skies

Perhaps a bit off-topic, but what really struck me was how "In The Skies" changed from the original version to the Kolors version (very slow and loomy, almost depressing).
And then of course the similarity of "In The Skies" with "Soul Dressing" by the Peter B's, although SD was a lot faster, but the same chord progression.
I do believe that Peter's In-The-Skies was been very symptomatic for his state of mind during that time and how he "disappeared" following.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I hear Christine used to sing this song after Peter Green left. I was wondering if anyone has any live recording of her doing so?
Old 03-07-2010, 12:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I hear Christine used to sing this song after Peter Green left. I was wondering if anyone has any live recording of her doing so?
That I would love to hear.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, she did perform this song at least once with the Rumours era band. I can recall it being at a big outdoor festival. But right now I'm too lazy to dig through my bootlegs to provide the specifics.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk View Post
Perhaps a bit off-topic, but what really struck me was how "In The Skies" changed from the original version to the Kolors version (very slow and loomy, almost depressing).
And then of course the similarity of "In The Skies" with "Soul Dressing" by the Peter B's, although SD was a lot faster, but the same chord progression.
I do believe that Peter's In-The-Skies was been very symptomatic for his state of mind during that time and how he "disappeared" following.
Ok, taking it even further off the road...

...anyone ever notice the similarity of the chord structure between PG's "In The Skies" and Sade's "Smooth Operator" (verses only)?

At a couple of rehearsals in a band I was in about 15 years ago, we attempted a medley of those two tunes....had we worked on it a bit longer (and not broken up), I think we might have pulled it off.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Ok, taking it even further off the road...

...anyone ever notice the similarity of the chord structure between PG's "In The Skies" and Sade's "Smooth Operator" (verses only)?

At a couple of rehearsals in a band I was in about 15 years ago, we attempted a medley of those two tunes....had we worked on it a bit longer (and not broken up), I think we might have pulled it off.
Shame, shame, shame. Shouldn't have broken up.
Do you g=have a recording of this medley????
Old 03-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Yes, she did perform this song at least once with the Rumours era band. I can recall it being at a big outdoor festival. But right now I'm too lazy to dig through my bootlegs to provide the specifics.
Oh! Please find it find it and share it on here!
Old 03-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh! Please find it find it and share it on here!
I will look for it!
Old 03-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks^^^^^^^^^