The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-02-2004, 03:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Saw Spiderman 2 (**POSSIBLE SPOILERS**)

After a crappy day of dealing with crappy apartment maintenance people crap, I went to see the film with a friend. I didn't really care for the first movie, which I rented last year. The second half had bored me, Dafoe annoyed me, the computer animation stuff was too fake looking.

This time around I liked it. A lot. A few of the lines were preachy/cheesy, but I felt farklempt a few times anyway. I actually cared about the characters this time. I could see appeal in Kirsten Dunst this time (last time it was lost on me). The special effects were great and made better sense for the story. Also, Aunt Mae really rocks in this one. She steals every scene she is in without being some movie stereotype of a wisecracking old lady. And Tobey M. really shows his acting chops.
Definitely worth seeing on the big screen, IMO.

- Jake
Old 07-02-2004, 08:23 AM
Senior Ledgie

I want to see SM2. I saw the preview at the theatre when I went to see the latest Harry Potter (which, by the way, is the best HP yet), and it looked really good -- like it had a good storyline and not just a big action adventure summer blockbuster.

Regarding Peter Parker's aunt and uncle: I was thinking one or both of them died in the first movie? Can you refresh my memory? And did Kirsten Dunst play his "love interest" in the first movie?
Old 07-02-2004, 08:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Girl
I want to see SM2. I saw the preview at the theatre when I went to see the latest Harry Potter (which, by the way, is the best HP yet), and it looked really good -- like it had a good storyline and not just a big action adventure summer blockbuster.

Regarding Peter Parker's aunt and uncle: I was thinking one or both of them died in the first movie? Can you refresh my memory? And did Kirsten Dunst play his "love interest" in the first movie?
The uncle died because Peter didn't act to stop the bad guy. But there is a flashback scene with the uncle in the new movie.
Kirsten was the love interest.
I really liked the storyline. My friend didn't feel like it fit in an action movie, but I did. This movie makes you feel for the hero's stresses the way Daredevil tried to, only this movie does it better.

- Jake
Old 07-02-2004, 12:23 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thanks
Old 07-03-2004, 04:20 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't wait to see it, but have to because movie prices in DC are crazy!!!

I didn't know Bruce Cambpell makes an appearance in it....I have to see it now...I liked the first one a lot, and have heard nothing but great things about the second
Old 07-03-2004, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess I'm a sourpuss but I didn't like it. There were a few scenes I liked, particularly the subway sequence. But other than that, I was unimpressed. I like Kirsten Dunst a lot and her talent surpasses what the role of Mary Jane calls for. I prefer the Batman movies.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really want to see this. In fact, there are a few movies I want to see. Eventually I'll get out...I guess I think had you seen the first one in theaters, you would have enjoyed it more

Now what i'm waiting for is Aeon Flux the movie. I used to looove the show on MTV (they replay it a lot on MTV 2). However, I hear Charlize Theron is set to play Aeon. Not really sure I like her going from her role in Monster to something like this.

Wha happened with the apartment? Check your PMs, nerd

Last edited by GardenStateGirlie; 07-04-2004 at 10:36 AM..
Old 07-04-2004, 01:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost
I went to a press screening of it here in the UK and LOVED it!!!!
It is THE movie of the summer. It's exciting and funny and just a great adventure. I can imagine if I was a kid seeing it in my summer hols I would be Spidey crazy all holiday long lol! Like X-Men 2, it takes the foundations of the first film and builds on it, setting things up nicely for the third film and leaving you desperate for more. I can't wait for X3 and I can't wait for Spidey 3!
Great cameos from Bruce Campbell (who is sooo underused) and Mr Stan Lee of course. The train scene was awesome, everyone at my screening clapped -not often that happens.
I'm so glad Spider-Man 2 is great, so many of the summer blockbusters so far have been a big disappointments (Van Helsing plain sucked; King Arthur is as dull as anything; Troy is completely underwhelming and often laughable; The Day After Tomorrow just silly). I liked Harry Potter and Shrek 2 but Spidey 2 is better in my opinion.
I liked it much more than I liked the X-Men films. The casting is much better, for one thing.
Bruce Campbell was instantly recognizable, but I missed Stan Lee. During the opening credits I reminded myself to watch for him but then forgot. Who was he?
BTW, I have yet to see any of the Harry Potter or Shrek films.
I'm disappointed that King Arthur isn't supposed to be good. But I'm one of the few people who did not love Excalibur.

- Jake
Old 07-04-2004, 01:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
I can't wait to see it, but have to because movie prices in DC are crazy!!!

I didn't know Bruce Cambpell makes an appearance in it....I have to see it now...I liked the first one a lot, and have heard nothing but great things about the second
I didn't care much for the first one but still liked the second, so if you loved the first I imagine you'll love the second.

- Jake
Old 07-04-2004, 01:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
I guess I'm a sourpuss but I didn't like it. There were a few scenes I liked, particularly the subway sequence. But other than that, I was unimpressed. I like Kirsten Dunst a lot and her talent surpasses what the role of Mary Jane calls for. I prefer the Batman movies.
I disagree with everything you said except for the sourpuss part.

- Jake
Old 07-04-2004, 08:48 AM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:34 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Stan Lee pulls aside a fellow onlooker from falling debris while Dr. Ock and Spidey are fighting on the side of a building.

I thought Spider-Man 2 was better than the first movie. It's one of the few sequels that lives up to the first, or surpasses it.

They've even set the series up for about 2 or 3 more movies. You've got Harry who's going to take up the mantle of the Goblin, Dr. Curt Connors (the guy with the missing arm) who transforms into the Lizard after his experiments go awry...and Jameson's kid is the astronaut that goes into space and brings back the alien symbiote that later gives birth to "Venom." I think we'll be seeing Spidey movies from now until 2014.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit
I disagree with everything you said except for the sourpuss part.

- Jake
Right back atcha, sweetcakes.
Old 07-04-2004, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
Right back atcha, sweetcakes.
Sorry, I thought Marissa had posted the sourpuss comment.
See the problems you start, Marissa? Aren't you ashamed.

- Jake
Old 07-04-2004, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenStateGirlie

Wha happened with the apartment? Check your PMs, nerd
I really can't even talk about it now, I'm so angry.

- Jake
Old 07-04-2004, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost
Stan was in one of the crowd scenes, I can't remember exactly but I just know I thought to myself "oh there's Stan Lee!"

King Arthur isn't bad, it's just a bit dull. It's based on the person who supposedly inspired the legend rather the legend itself, so there's no magic, Merlin is barely in it, Excalibur is only seen briefly in a flashback sequence and Clive Owen isn't really that regal. There's a cool fight on ice and the end battle sequence is okay. I'd compare it to Braveheart only not as good.
Which legend? Supposedly those people all lived at different times.

- Jake

Last edited by darklinensuit; 07-04-2004 at 02:19 PM..