Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Hillary Clinton launches White House bid: 'I'm in'

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/01/...ent/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Sen. Hillary Clinton jumped into the fray as a 2008 presidential candidate with the words "I'm in" posted on her Web site.

"And I'm in to win," she added in a statement, announcing she has set up an exploratory committee that can gauge opinions and raise money for a presidential campaign.

Clinton's announcement comes two years to the day the next president will be inaugurated: January 20, 2009.

The former first lady and Democratic senator from New York is considered her party's front-runner in what has become a diverse Democratic field.

Should she win, she would be the first woman to serve as president of the United States -- and the first presidential spouse to do so as well. President Bill Clinton served two terms from 1993 to 2001.

On Tuesday, Democrat Sen. Barack Obama announced that he was filing papers to form a presidential exploratory committee, a bid to become the first African-American president. (Full story)

And on Sunday, New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, also a Democrat, is expected to announce his bid, one that could make him the first Latino president.

Live 'Web chats' start Monday
Bringing "the right end" to the war in Iraq, reducing the deficit, making the country energy independent and health care affordable were issues Clinton touted in her announcement, speaking on a video posted on her site.

"After six years of George Bush, it is time to renew the promise of America," she said.

"I grew up in a middle-class family in the middle of America, and we believed in that promise," the 59-year-old Chicago native said.

"I still do. I've spent my entire life trying to make good on it, whether it was fighting for women's basic rights or children's basic health care, protecting our social security or protecting our soldiers."

In the video, she invited Americans to join her in a three-night series of live video Web chats beginning Monday.

"So let's talk. Let's chat, let's start a dialogue about your ideas and mine, because the conversation in Washington has been just a little one-sided lately, don't you think?"

She'll travel next weekend to Iowa and later to New Hampshire, two kickoff states for the Democratic presidential nominating process in 2008, according to her campaign organizers.

When Clinton launched her Senate bid in New York in 1999, she began a "listening tour" around the state to explore views on education, business and health care issues.

Her Republican opponent, Rick Lazio, called her a "carpetbagger" because she had not previously lived in New York. But she beat him, becoming the first sitting first lady to win an elected office, and was re-elected last year with 67 percent of the vote.

A crowded field
Clinton's announcement puts her in a big Democratic crowd of candidates.

In a statement released Saturday, Obama said: "Senator Clinton is a good friend and a colleague whom I greatly respect. I welcome her and all the candidates, not as competitors, but as allies in the work of getting our country back on track."

In addition to Obama and Richardson, the field also includes former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina, the party's 2004 vice presidential nominee, who declared his candidacy late last year; Rep. Dennis Kucinich of Ohio, a liberal critic of the war in Iraq; and Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack.

Sens. Joe Biden of Delaware and Chris Dodd of Connecticut have also said they will seek the nomination, and other Democrats mentioned as possible candidates include the party's 2004 presidential candidate, Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts; retired Army Gen. Wesley Clark, and the Rev. Al Sharpton.

Clinton wants troop cap, is wary of al-Maliki
Clinton, who just returned from a trip to U.S. military facilities in Afghanistan, Iraq and Germany, has urged the Bush administration to return its focus to Afghanistan.

She has proposed a bill to cap troop levels in Iraq and require congressional approval before the president may send more troops.

She has also been highly critical of Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki, saying Washington should cut off financial support to the Iraqi government unless it shows commitment to stemming the sectarian violence there.

"I don't have any faith," she said of al-Maliki, when asked by CNN if she had any faith in him.

In 2002, Clinton was among the majority in Congress who voted in favor of authorizing Bush to attack Iraq if Saddam Hussein refused to give up weapons of mass destruction as required by U.N. resolutions.

In a 2005 letter to constituents posted on her Senate Web site, she said that she took responsibility for her vote, which she said she made "on the basis of the evidence presented by the administration."

In turn, she said, "I, along with a majority of Americans, expect the president and his administration to take responsibility for the false assurances, faulty evidence and mismanagement of the war."
Old 01-20-2007, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

wow. this will be interesting.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers View Post
wow. this will be interesting.
It certainly will be. I think at this point, a Clinton in the White House is going to sound mighty appealing to a lot of people.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think so too. She is, however, so polarizing and Fox is going to attempt to destroy her. I likely would vote for her though I am not a huge fan.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Interesting indeed.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Barack Obama in 2008!!!!

Last edited by BombaySapphire3; 01-20-2007 at 02:52 PM..
Old 01-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Just remember, she has one of the best political strategists of our times on her side- her husband. The only person that could possibly hope to eclipse her at this point is Al Gore. Men have been running this country for 200+ years. Maybe it's time for a woman to take a shot. Could it hurt?
Old 01-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
The only person that could possibly hope to eclipse her at this point is Al Gore.
Take a look at some of the polls .Barack is already starting to.

Old 01-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't stand her! Anybody but Hillary! Bill was a waste and the last thing we need is her. Good lord. I don't trust her or anything she does. (Did I mention, I don't like her?)

Watching the drama of the Ledge since 2001.

Last edited by seeker007nmss; 01-20-2007 at 03:37 PM..
Old 01-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker007nmss View Post
I can't stand her! Anybody but Hillary! Bill wa a waste and the last thing we need is her. Good lord. I don't trust her or anything she does. (Did I mention, I don't like her?)
That is going to be one of the problems if she gets the nomination..she is about as likeable as a hemorrhoid.

Old 01-20-2007, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
She is, however, so polarizing [...]
no kidding - i think this thread has already illustrated that in, like, 10 posts!
Old 01-20-2007, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Take a look at some of the polls .Barack is already starting to.
Don't shoot me I'm just the messenger. It ain't gonna happen babe.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw her on tv this morning. The woman is in serious need of a facelift!
Old 01-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker007nmss View Post
Bill was a waste and the last thing we need is her. Good lord.

Old 01-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
I saw her on tv this morning. The woman is in serious need of a facelift!
Do you think her appearance will prohibit her from running the country?