The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!
Default Nothing on Gavin Newsom's big scandal?

I'm suprised. He just had a big thing where he slept with his...campaign/office aid's wife, in the midst of his divorce. She revealed it as a part of some rehab thing she did recently. No, I don't know which drug.
But a "guy on the street" that they interview for the paper said it best: "He's so hot, of course everyone wants to sleep with him!!"
Nevertheless, some people are predicting a darkening of his political future, which I find disturbing, as he is one of the most forethinking, innovative, and sincere politicians I have come across in a very long time. Including Obama. His stance on gay marriage, and a bunch of other things - well, I love him. Also, other people interviewed for "man on the street" said it wouldn't affect their vote for him, as they have not seen a better candidate. Also, Dianne Feinstein said she still supported him, though without excusing what he did. But still, she said he has so much potential, blah blah, and people make mistakes.

I really agree. His political problem solving, gumption, etc., whatever, by far trumps some chick he banged who was his secretary and his campaign worker's wife.
Okay, that is bad, and shows some slickness, but I really find it hard to care that much considering his record. I mean, c'mon, he's working on bringing WiFi to the whole SF area for free. Free internet for everyone. In addition to so much more.
Plus, he's a Libra, and good looking to boot, I kind of expect this type of thing. Libras are invariably slick and extra charming, and often very innovative and able to balance many viewpoints, and they almost always communicate well with others (the public).

Although he should definitely pick non married people to bang. For shame.

Dude, the fact that he fricking went against state law to allow gay marriages, and also came up with a whole new paradigm for homelessness - so much more important than some random chick he slept with.

I feel like I haven't seen anyone with such big balls in a long time.

"Newsome's Uncertain Political Future"
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NGHNNTLHV1.DTL

"Newsome Does Damage Control"
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NGHNNTN2N1.DTL

P.S. - If I ever met him, I'm pretty sure I would sleep with him given the chance. lol. Seriously, he is way too hot.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -

Last edited by amber; 02-02-2007 at 11:33 PM..
Old 02-03-2007, 02:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Gavin's a hot guy. He screws around. That's probably what killed his marriage to Kimberly Gilfoyle. Nobody's perfect.
The whole mission of Libras in this life is to learn how to be committed or so one of my favorite astrologers told me.
This won't even make a dent in his political career.

Last edited by gldstwmn; 02-03-2007 at 02:52 AM..
Old 02-03-2007, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
This won't even make a dent in his political career.
That remains to be seen actually....I wonder how he would appeal to the rest of the country, not just rabid CA fans I admire the man and I never thot that a person's bedroom antics should derail their political career (Bill Clinton anyone?) but I dont think he's broken the State barrier yet. More's the pity.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

it made our local news & papers here in omaha~
Old 02-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

GODDESS, Im referring to his potential political career beyond Mayor of San Francisco, not his scandal. Im not surprised theres mention of his sexual escapades, this country is inordinately fond of smut, all protestations to the contrary notwithstanding.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: bouncing off the wall at you. being defined by the applause.

he will continue to be fine..in bed and outta bed.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgrl View Post
That remains to be seen actually....I wonder how he would appeal to the rest of the country, not just rabid CA fans I admire the man and I never thot that a person's bedroom antics should derail their political career (Bill Clinton anyone?) but I dont think he's broken the State barrier yet. More's the pity.
I think people are so over getting into people's bedroom business that it won't be a problem.
He's young. Give him time. He'll be a major player down the road.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
I think people are so over getting into people's bedroom business that it won't be a problem.
He's young. Give him time. He'll be a major player down the road.
I hope you are right, but some of the articles about him have me worried. they say "oh, this is okay here, with our san francisco values, but it won't play nationally, in the bible belt, blah blah".
Meh. I wish that were the only "bad" thing that politicians did.

I could see "committing" as being a Libra's mission...does seem difficult for many of them in one way or another.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 02-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber View Post
I hope you are right, but some of the articles about him have me worried. they say "oh, this is okay here, with our san francisco values, but it won't play nationally, in the bible belt, blah blah".
Which is pure hypocrisy on their part, since there have been countless Republican politicians who have married and divorced multiple times, and have had affairs that were eventually exposed.

And, hell, it could have been worse... Newsom could've been an anti-gay marriage, "family values" rhetoric-spouting Conservative, who was secretly engaging underage boys in cyber-sex!
Old 02-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
Which is pure hypocrisy on their part, since there have been countless Republican politicians who have married and divorced multiple times, and have had affairs that were eventually exposed.

And, hell, it could have been worse... Newsom could've been an anti-gay marriage, "family values" rhetoric-spouting Conservative, who was secretly engaging underage boys in cyber-sex!
Yes, exactly what I was thinking when i wrote that. you never know if those red states will care about the corruption when Repubs do it, though.

Old 02-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Gavin kind of has that Kennedy type vibe about him ..he'll most likely survive this unless there is way more that hasn't come to light yet.On a national level his allowing gay marriage in the City will be more damaging..all those Bush states uh or maybe former Bush states.

Old 02-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Gavin kind of has that Kennedy type vibe about him ..he'll most likely survive this unless there is way more that hasn't come to light yet.On a national level his allowing gay marriage in the City will be more damaging..all those Bush states uh or maybe former Bush states.
I wonder about on a state level? And I suspect that any other things that "come to light" will just be more of a similar nature. Did you see the articles when he was dating that almost 21 year old? He could date so many people, hopefully he'll keep it in his pants with the marrieds.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber View Post
I'm suprised. He just had a big thing where he slept with his...campaign/office aid's wife, in the midst of his divorce. She revealed it as a part of some rehab thing she did recently. No, I don't know which drug.
But a "guy on the street" that they interview for the paper said it best: "He's so hot, of course everyone wants to sleep with him!!"
Nevertheless, some people are predicting a darkening of his political future, which I find disturbing, as he is one of the most forethinking, innovative, and sincere politicians I have come across in a very long time. Including Obama. His stance on gay marriage, and a bunch of other things - well, I love him. Also, other people interviewed for "man on the street" said it wouldn't affect their vote for him, as they have not seen a better candidate. Also, Dianne Feinstein said she still supported him, though without excusing what he did. But still, she said he has so much potential, blah blah, and people make mistakes.

I really agree. His political problem solving, gumption, etc., whatever, by far trumps some chick he banged who was his secretary and his campaign worker's wife.
Okay, that is bad, and shows some slickness, but I really find it hard to care that much considering his record. I mean, c'mon, he's working on bringing WiFi to the whole SF area for free. Free internet for everyone. In addition to so much more.
Plus, he's a Libra, and good looking to boot, I kind of expect this type of thing. Libras are invariably slick and extra charming, and often very innovative and able to balance many viewpoints, and they almost always communicate well with others (the public).
I don't really get what his star sign has to do with anything. People of all star signs have affairs. Nobody really believes that the date of someone's birth could help predict there behaviour do they?
Old 02-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

I will weigh in!

I am no big Gavin Newsom fan. I didn't like him when he was on the Board of Supervisors, as I felt he scapegoated homeless people to further his political career. I campaigned hard against him.

Then he did the gay marriage thing and I chilled out. Even further, he walked the picket line for striking hotel workers and I REALLY chilled out. The gay marriage thing was big for people outside SF. Inside SF, we knew it was a political stunt to consolidate power (many gay people opposed Gavin for Mayor). It was safe. San Franciscans would love him. And eventually the courts struck the whole thing down, which we all knew would happen. However, I admired that for once a straight politician would go out on a limb nationally and support full equality.

After all of that, he has been a crappy Mayor. Crime is way up, he accused all cable operators of being crooks, and he has really done very little except run around and try to be on TV.

Enter latest scandal. I don't care who he sleeps with. None of any of our business. So it's actually not a scandal. The man deserves to have a personal life, and I won't judge his job as Mayor based on that.

However, I think it is totally scummy to sleep with your friend's wife. And not just a friend, but someone who gave up a professional career to serve as your aide and campaign manager. I actually know Alex Tourk. He is a hell of a guy and not deserving of this backstabbing.

So, bottom line. None of this factors into my feeling about Gavin as Mayor. But Gavin as a human being---he is a tacky, tacky man. And all the gay guys running around saying "he's hot, who cares"....well, last time I checked, decency and honor were still values that mean something.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Für Elise View Post
I don't really get what his star sign has to do with anything. People of all star signs have affairs. Nobody really believes that the date of someone's birth could help predict there behaviour do they?
Can you prove that it doesn't?