Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Discuss Never Going Back Again

I'm wondering if there's a single song on Rumours that someone will post "I hate that f*cking song" about. Cuz I was just going to write "good tune" and then I realized, yeah, aren't they all?

Well, anyway. Good tune. Really, though. I don't know much about guitar playing, so I'll leave it to the experts to dissect LB's style/skill/method/etc. I will say that musically I prefer it live, with a bit of percussion & bass, Stevie on high harmony. It's a cool little jam. And for being kind of a "down" song, and an acoustic song, it's actually pretty upbeat. A real foot tapper. Vocally, I much prefer the original studio version - I feel that LB oversings it live, esp. on recent tours, and he doesn't need to. JMO.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like the faster tempo of the studio version than he gives it live. I do like the Live 1980 version, especially vocally.
It's a cool little guitar piece. Nothing too hard to play but great fun to play over and over. It was the first finger-picking song I ever learned to play on the guitar.
Great song! And I agree with everything you said about it being upbeat even though it's "down" song. I love songs like that.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
I do like the Live 1980 version, especially vocally.
Yes, I was going to bring this up, the 1980 Live version is my favourite one actually, but mainly because of his vocals (and his whispering!) I agree with Paula in that it's too overdone these days and I hate it when he unnecessarily strains his voice, he sounds too squeaky then.

What else is there to say about this song? It's a good tune indeed. I love acoustic guitar centric songs in general.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Never Goin Back again is prob one of my favorite songs on rumours. I love it because of that catchy riff. There is NOTHING like the album version. I think it is amazing when he plays it that quick. Thats how I wish he did it in concert. So sick of how they have been playing it.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: ... in the shadow of this strange, strong love of you

this is a song i never really noticed. i didn't dislike it, but, it never did much for me. UNTIL.... i saw it live during the SYW tour. and then i fell in love. it was one of my favourite songs on the tour. was all about the stevie harmonies. i have so many live versions of it - and i can listen to it over and over and over. it's one of the old songs that i hope they never take out of the setlist.

"We're rock stars. We are not nice."
Stevie Nicks, the sage mother goddess fierce gypsy bitch we adore.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like this song. awesome guitar picking here.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 03-02-2007, 12:44 AM
Dreamz19
This message has been deleted by Dreamz19.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Seems like all the discuss song threads are of songs I like. But I will risk sounding more repetitive ..... to say that I really like this song. It is my favorite Lindsey song on Rumours. The guitar playing is fantastic and its just nice and simple. I love the sound of an acoustic so I am surprised that I had ignored this song when I first bought Rumours. I guess it was because I was really into "Dreams" at the time so I skipped it often. But after playing "Dreams" out I gave it a chance. It was really the lyrics that grabbed me, more so than the guitar playing. It may not be considered much lyrically, but it related to how I was feeling about a relationship at the time.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

A classic. Its origins are probably in that guitar instrumental that Lindsey played during the Buckingham Nicks sets, although that and NGBA are not exactly identical. On the album it's just the right length, and it remained at that length when they played it live as a band with John on acoustic bass. The SYW versions were a first of sorts with Stevie harmonising on them, I don't think she ever did that on NGBA before.

However, once the tempo got slowed down on the Tusk tour it became more moving to me, a little bit of faux-drama never hurt anyone. Those remain my favourite versions.

The Rumours DVD-A version has that great extra guitar track on top, Lindsey stated that they first wanted to make it more layered but decided to keep it stripped down. Something in me wishes that they had first taken the add-more-overdubs route, who knows how it might have turned out! And then later on Lindsey could've stripped it down like he's done with some of his other tracks.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 03-02-2007, 02:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
I feel that LB oversings it live, esp. on recent tours, and he doesn't need to. JMO.
I'm glad I read the whole thing, I was just about to start typing this same thing. He did all these long moans and whines to it on this latest tour. Me no likey. Like "beeeen dooown one tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiyyiimmmUH! Been down twooo tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiyyyyiiimzUH!" Eaaasy, Lindsey, pull it back.

I like this song okay. It's pretty simple. I mean, it sounds simple, I'm sure it's not simple to play. I like that the message is simple and spare. But, it doesn't wow me that much. The guitar wows me a little, but not severely. It's a great little guitar pop song, though.
It reminds me of some Sime and Garf song that I can't quite remember at this moment. I mean in it's simple yet deepness. Maybe the "I'd rather be a hammer than a nail" song? mmm...not sure...but I can say with all certainty that Paul Simon is a Libra like Linds...

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -

Last edited by amber; 03-02-2007 at 02:28 AM..
Old 03-02-2007, 03:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My absolute favourite song on "Rumours" - its pure brilliance
Old 03-02-2007, 08:17 AM
Senior Ledgie

This is exactly, what made me falll in love. So pure, the humming in perfect harmony and key,... whooaw. I still love it.
Never mind what version, the album track is perfect, i live to see the live track from the 1980 album in Rotterdam (which was far from oké).
Surprised by the so called Boston version. I'll guess i'll always love and cherish it, same as Stephanie, also from the same musical genius,...

Will
Old 03-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass View Post
The Rumours DVD-A version has that great extra guitar track on top, Lindsey stated that they first wanted to make it more layered but decided to keep it stripped down. Something in me wishes that they had first taken the add-more-overdubs route, who knows how it might have turned out! And then later on Lindsey could've stripped it down like he's done with some of his other tracks.
Does the overdubbed version replace the original? I haven't heard the DVD-A. Is it worth getting if I already have the 2 disc remaster?

As far as Stevie's vocals go on it... I really dislike them. My least favourite version of NGBA is the Lindsey Soundstage version. I was watching it with a friend last weekend (in HD ) and we both cringed. It was the first time he'd seen it and I had to warn him in advance, especially since it's after the awesomeness of Red Rover.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
Does the overdubbed version replace the original? I haven't heard the DVD-A. Is it worth getting if I already have the 2 disc remaster?
Yes, absolutely get it - if you can find it. I'm not sure they're making DVD-audios anymore. But it is well-worth it, I hear things that I've never heard before each time I listen to it in this format. I love the remasters, but the DVD-A blows it away.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Is there a bad version of this song? I think not. It's perfection on a stick. Live, studio.....this song never goes wrong. I love the Live '80 album version.......and definitely on the SYW Tour with Stevie harmonies.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
Yes, absolutely get it - if you can find it. I'm not sure they're making DVD-audios anymore. But it is well-worth it, I hear things that I've never heard before each time I listen to it in this format. I love the remasters, but the DVD-A blows it away.
I agree, it's a great addition to my collection. I only wish they had given us the option of listening to various tracks seperately. I think especially the harmonies would give me goosebumps if listened to without the music.