Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Live Album set list. Critics

What do you think is missing in the 1980 Live album? What songs do you think should be included? What songs would you discard? What songs do you agree are right to be there?

I think Monday Morning is a good first song, with the "Ladies & Gentlemen.." intro. Rhiannon, Sara, GYOW, Dreams, are the logical musts since they were hits. Since it was mainly the Tusk Tour, Over&Over and Not that Funny are fine. I guess there should be more Tusk songs, though Mick's idea was to "strongly felt there had to be a live document of the band at this point", so they choose songs from the 3 albums, plus Oh Well as a blues era tribute.

I'm not crazy about Don't let me down again and I wouldn't have chosen it, besides that version doesn't sound good. I would have replace it for any Tusk song (Walk a thin line, Storms, Never make me cry, Think about me)

The main missing song, IMO, is Songbird. They should have finished the album with Songbird, not Farmer's Daughter, emulating the show. By that year they already ended the shows with that song, as you can hear the Atlanta show:
http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=50292
(thanks to David).
Though the record is a collage of several shows (that doesn't bother me though sometimes the acoustic is quite different from one song to another), I think they should have emulated an entire show, that's why they started with that Monday Morning version, but they didn't complete the idea.

World Turning is another song that should be included, I think.

one last question, I think this was already discussed but forgot the answer. Who is Christine and who is Stevie:

Last edited by Villavic; 06-14-2012 at 10:26 AM..
Old 06-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^ It's Lindsey, Stevie, Christine, Mick and John (L to R)

I think "The Chain" is a glaring omission and the inclusion of "Not That Funny," let alone a 9-minute version full of barking and yelping, was an utter waste of vinyl. And it's a shame that there isn't a proper Rumours-era live recording of "Get Like You Used to Be" officially released. I am also curious as to why they included soundcheck versions of "Dreams" and "Don't Stop" rather than actual performances. I mean, they were good, solid performances, but nothing spectacular...

All in all, I think Live is an excellent bookend to the phenomenal trio of albums. They were hoarse in places. You could hear some feedback. It was often sloppy. But it was always inspired. Thank goodness they didn't have autotune and Pro tools back in the day!
Old 06-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Senior Ledgie

I also think that The Chain should have been included. Also, although it's not one of my personal favorites, I think Sisters of the Moon should have been included. Song is awesome live.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Storms and The Chain......The omission of the Chain was a WTF moment for me. Oh and the live version of Not that Funny made me love that song.....Studio version is a piece of crap. I digress though. lol

Mick

-Tom Waits

Last edited by bluefox4000; 06-14-2012 at 12:01 PM..
Old 06-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Senior Ledgie

What Makes You Think You're The One should definitely have been on the album, maybe even in place of the version of Not That Funny. The handful of live versions of that song that I've heard from that tour are brilliant, I love the way Lindsey sounds really edgy on it. The live versions completely blow the album version out of the water.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Chain, Tusk, and Sisters always felt like glaring omissions to me.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi, and thanks Villavic for start the topic!!

Well, I recently discovered the disc, and I really like it. But...
- You know, it's a good material, with good sound, no questions about it, but I really don't like the "changes" between song and song. Fireflies, One more night and The Farmer's daughter sound like studio versions, like if they were outtakes of the Tusk album that couldn't be included in another place.

- Monday Morning is a good start, and a wonderful version. I love the "classics", specially Dreams and Over my Head, but not the versions of Never going back again and Landslide. Maybe for the tones in their performances. I'm So Afraid is just amazing, after the version of The Dance, is the best released.

- Over & Over is beautiful, and Not That Funny & Oh Well (part I) are high points of the album. Rock!

- But, we are talking about the Tusk Tour, and the album did not include Tusk and The Chain, and other songs maybe like What makes you think you're the one and Sisters of the Moon. The Chain after Monday Morning, and Tusk at the end of the second disc.

That's all that I think. I agree with all of you!
Regards!

Last edited by moon; 06-14-2012 at 06:33 PM..
Old 06-15-2012, 03:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Mine would have looked a lil something like this;

Monday Morning
Say You Love Me
Dreams
Oh Well
Over & Over
Sisters Of The Moon
What Makes You Think You're The One
Never Going Back Again
Landslide

Sara
Over My Head
Second Hand News (High-energy '78 version with Christine on extra drums)
Rhiannon
Go Your Own Way
Don't Stop
The Chain
I'm So Afraid
Songbird
Old 06-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Never have given much thought before to what is missing/what should have been on the official 1980 "Live" album, but I definitely agree with others who mentioned "The Chain" - which in retrospect did seem like the most obvious oversight.

I did headstands over "Don't Let Me Down Again" being included -- I love that version! On the other hand - "Not So Funny" - not so much, it's the only song on the collection I go out of my way to skip! Also, including "Sisters Of The Moon" on one hand would've been great, on the other hand Stevie already had 2 songs (Sara & Rhiannon) clocking over 7 minutes, so it also could been deemed excessive & indulgent.

I'm sure the band probably had huge debates & headaches about what to include. For instance adding "The Chain" makes the set Rumours heavy. Meanwhile the set is "White Album" heavy, while "Tusk" is represented with only 3 songs .

Also, am I in the minority about really loving Stevies melancholic delivery of "Landslide"? I feel it's one of the most touching and unique live versions of this song ever.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Never have given much thought before to what is missing/what should have been on the official 1980 "Live" album, but I definitely agree with others who mentioned "The Chain" - which in retrospect did seem like the most obvious oversight.

I did headstands over "Don't Let Me Down Again" being included -- I love that version! On the other hand - "Not So Funny" - not so much, it's the only song on the collection I go out of my way to skip! Also, including "Sisters Of The Moon" on one hand would've been great, on the other hand Stevie already had 2 songs (Sara & Rhiannon) clocking over 7 minutes, so it also could been deemed excessive & indulgent.

I'm sure the band probably had huge debates & headaches about what to include. For instance adding "The Chain" makes the set Rumours heavy. Meanwhile the set is "White Album" heavy, while "Tusk" is represented with only 3 songs .

Also, am I in the minority about really loving Stevies melancholic delivery of "Landslide"? I feel it's one of the most touching and unique live versions of this song ever.
No your not......I love the version, only version of the song that chokes me up.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 06-15-2012, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've listened to the live album several times. I'm surprised about The Chain not being on there. I was wondering though how "epic" or "important" was that song back then. Perhaps all these years later (esp. since the Dance,) the song has taken a more important role almost being FM's signature song?
Old 06-15-2012, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think in Mick's book, he said the band was not really interested in this project and kind of left it to Mick as a pet project. As usual, he scrambled it (just like The Chain Box Set sequencing).

It would have been nice to have the complete Tusk Tour included, but that may not have been possible with vinyl at the time even with a double LP.

I do like the inclusion of the one-off tracks (Farmer's Daughter, One More Night, and Fireflies).

However, The Chain, Think About Me, Angel, What Makes You Think You're The One, Save Me A Place, Tusk, and Oh Daddy sure would have been great, but again I think space was a constraint.

Last edited by Richard B; 06-15-2012 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 06-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In hindsight if The Chain and Tusk had been used it may have lessened their impact on The Dance.I think the uptempo Angel and Think About Me would have been good additions.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, we must think that the versions of Tusk in the tour were about 7 or 8 minutes! I heard lot of them, and they were too long!
But well, in The Dance, songs like Gypsy, Second Hand News, Gold Dust Woman or Songbird were not release on the final CD, but the band was more interested, no question about it...
Other reason could be the sound, or what they thought about one song, maybe they didn't like it, and included another one. For example, Supertramp released the double Paris in 1980, and they performed the classic Give A Little Bit, but none convinced them, so they didn't include it.
So, I always include the rehearsals, and I listen What Makes You Think You're The One, Tusk, and The Chain...
Regards!
Old 06-16-2012, 12:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's our own little live album with performances that exemplify just how ferocious—and nonviable—some of these missing songs would have been on vinyl.

Atlanta
August 11, 1980

The Chain
http://www.sendspace.com/file/89cx62

Tusk (with Jeff Sova on Oberheim)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0thmmx

I'm So Afraid
http://www.sendspace.com/file/wb05mh

moviekinks.blogspot.com